Position title: Program Associate
Reports to: Program Coordinator/ Program Manager
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Deadline: 21st February 2024
Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL) Africa is a not-for-profit organization registered and headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, with teams in Côte d’Ivoire, Nigeria, and Zambia. TaRL Africa began as a joint venture by Pratham and J-PAL in 2019, with the goal of supporting governments and organizations across Africa to accelerate children’s foundational skill learning using the evidence-based TaRL approach. TaRL Africa's mission is to support every child across Africa to build foundational skills for a better future. We support governments and organizations in over 12 countries in Sub-Saharan Africa to design, deliver and scale impactful TaRL programs while learning and sharing how the approach can be improved for different contexts. Together with partners, TaRL Africa reached over four million children with TaRL programming by 2022.
Role and Responsibilities
The Programme Associate works closely with Programme Managers and Coordinators provides overarching support to TaRL Africa programs and partnerships programs. The Programme Associate supports operations and partner relations. This includes working with TaRL Central Teams and Country Office management to incorporate best practices, strengthen programming, and ensure integration within government systems. The Programme Associate forms part of the Programs and Partnerships Team and reports directly to a Programme Manager/Coordinator.
Programming and Partner Support (80%)
- Coordinate partner activities and connections
- Coordinate activities for new program development
- Link to necessary team members to ensure programs and partners get sufficient support.
- Support team to provide consistent high-quality support to program partners.
- Support training and outreach as required
Cross Cutting: Quality Delivery and Impact Assurance (25%)
- Engage in education evidence and experiences to strengthen TaRL Africa work
- Create tools for more efficient and effective management of partnerships and programs
- Promote high quality programming, special projects could include:
- Supporting the incubation of innovations
- Analyzing weakness in programming and identifying ways in which programs or processes could be strengthened in collaboration with other teams
- Ensuring adoption of best practices across country programs and partnerships.
- Undergraduate degree in (Education, International Relations/Development, Social Sciences) or relevant field;
- Strong project management and organizational skills; proven ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously, which require inputs from multiple, diverse stakeholder groups;
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English;
- Experience in effectively communicating with, presenting to, and managing a variety of stakeholders;
- Advanced writing and presentation development skills, including exceptional skills in Word and PowerPoint or Google Docs;
- Able to work within a matrixed, complex organizational structure;
- Desire to get hands-dirty and take on priority tasks;
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally frequently and flexibly. Most travel will be in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Experience working in West Africa
TaRL Africa Values
- We put children’s learning first.
- We are always learning, improving, and innovating.
- We are locally rooted for high-quality delivery and sustainable impact.
- We are kind, respectful and collaborative.
- We are proactive, committed to integrity and doing our best each day.
How to apply?
Please fill in APPLICATION on a rolling basis. Only applications submitted through the form will be accepted. Please note that, due to the large volume of applications, we will only be able to respond to short-listed applicants.
TaRL Africa is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce.